2021 Newport Yacht Club Marine Adventure Camp
Update: March 2021 – Spots are filling! Register Now
We are excited to announce Summer 2021! We are hopeful looking forward to warm summer days and smiles on the water is just what will clear the winter blues! We are even more excited to announce we will be adding two new boats to our fleet as well! Many of our staff are planning to return and our scholarships will continue to provide opportunities and access to the water for some of our local families.
In 2015, Newport Yacht Club launched its first ever NYC Marine Adventure Camp with huge success and we continued to grow into 2019. With the global pandemic in 2020, the club, our staff, and the campers adapted to the required changes to keep everyone safe.
The mission of the Camp continues to provide access to sailing, sailboat racing, and marine education for ages 8-15 from any level or background. Due to proximity to some of the best sailing resources in the world, NYC is in a unique position to provide quality nautical and sailing instruction for the youth of the Narragansett Bay.
The focus of the program is fun and of course, safety. The Camp aims to be an alternative to a racing focused program.
So for the seventh year, our Marine Adventure Camp will be broken into FOUR 2-week full day sessions and a combination of activities unique to meet the mission.
- Introduction to basic sailing skills in dinghies (Optis, 420s, and Open BICs, and two NEW Zest) and big boats (2 Ensigns, a J-22, and NYC Member Yachts) to learn concepts like steering, sail positions, and wind awareness.
- Exposure to beginner marine navigation skills – charts, weather, docking, anchoring
- A focus on Marine Education – conservation, local geography, and sustainability
- For Intermediate and Advanced Sailors, including returning MAC Campers, we will be breaking the groups into different levels throughout the camp to differentiate learning and continue to grow their skills
2021 Schedule & Rates
The Summer will be broken into 4 two-week sessions.
- June 28 – July 9
- July 12 – July 23
- July 26 – August 6
- August 9 – 20
Sessions will have staggered drop offs and pickups from either 9am-3pm, 9:15-3:15pm or 9:30am-3:30pm Monday-Friday for ages 8-16. You will be assigned after registration prior to your first day.
- $510 per session
- Prices include 2-Week Junior Membership (This program is open to anyone however a Newport Yacht Club Junior Membership is required for all participants for our insurance, this fee is rolled into Registration Fees)
Registration is Open
Applications are received on a “first-come, first-serve” basis – early registration is highly recommended as the classes fill up quickly. You can see the number of available spots left on the registration page. Registration will automatically close if there are no spots left but you can register for the Waitlist and will be automatically informed if a spot opens up.
If the information on this page does not answer your question, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please note the Junior Program is coordinated by volunteers so responses are handled as quickly as possible by email only. You may request a phone call response and we will respond as soon as we can. Email is preferable. Thank you for your cooperation and patience in this matter.
Members: Interesting in bringing sailors out on your boat or sponsoring a child?
If you are interested in sponsoring a young sailor through a donation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in a scholarship for your child, please apply! They are awarded on an ongoing rolling status.
If you have any questions about scholarships please contact, email@example.com .
Employemnt : Join The 2021 Team!
Newport Yacht Club is currently looking for sailing instructors to join our team for the upcoming summer season. Employment application and more information can be found HERE.
Any questions regarding employment? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org