2023 Newport Yacht Club Marine Adventure Camp
We are excited to announce the Summer 2023 Marine Adventure Camp Program! Hopefully smiles brought on by thoughts of warm summer breezes and time on the water will clear the winter blues.
In 2015, Newport Yacht Club (NYC) launched its first ever Marine Adventure Camp and it’s been a huge success, growing every year. The mission of the Camp is to provide access to sailing and marine education for youths ages 8-16 with any skill level or sailing experience. The focus of the program is fun and of course, safety with the aim to be an alternative to the many racing focused programs on Narragansett Bay. Being located in Newport, NYC is in a unique position of having access to some of the best sailing resources in the world to support our mission of providing quality nautical and sailing instruction for the youth of Newport and the surrounding area.
Once again our Marine Adventure Camp will be offered over four(4) 2-week full day sessions a with a combination of activities unique to meet our mission.
- Introduction to basic sailing skills in dinghies (Optis, 420s, and Open BICs, and two NEW Zest) and big boats (a J-22, and NYC Member Yachts) to learn concepts like steering, sail positions, and wind awareness.
- Exposure to beginner marine navigation skills – charts, weather, docking, anchoring
- A focus on Marine Education – conservation, local geography, and sustainability
- For Intermediate and Advanced Sailors, including returning MAC Campers, we will be breaking the groups into different levels throughout the camp to differentiate learning and continue to grow their skills
Please note: the Junior Program in the off season is coordinated by volunteers so responses are handled as quickly as possible, preferably by email. You may request a phone call response and we will respond as soon as we can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Please email: Juniors
Once again we are pleased to offer scholarships for the 2023 season. Scholarships are awarded on an ongoing basis as requests come in. The link to apply for a scholarship will be available February 14, 2023.
For questions regarding scholarships please contact: Juniors
Members: Interested in bringing sailors out on your boat or sponsoring a child?
If you are interested in sponsoring a young sailor through a scholarship donation or taking a group of young sailors out on your sailboat please contact Juniors.
Employment : Join The 2023 Team!
Newport Yacht Club is currently looking for a sailing director and sailing instructors to join our team for the upcoming summer season. Minimum requirements include:
– US Sailing Level One Instructor Certification required by the start of the program.
– CPR/First Aid Certification.
– NSABLA-Approved Safe Boating Certificate (such as RI DEM Safe Boating Certificate or other state issued certification)
For questions regarding employment please contact: General Manager