2018 Newport Yacht Club Marine Adventure Camp
In 2015, Newport Yacht Club launched its first ever NYC Marine Adventure Camp with huge success and we continued to grow into 2018. Over 180 campers joined 6 instructors over 8 weeks for fun on the water each year.
The mission of the Camp is provide access to sailing, sailboat racing, and marine education for ages 6-15 from any level or background. Due to proximity to some of the best sailing resources in the world, NYC is in a unique position to provide quality nautical and sailing instruction for the youth of the Narragansett Bay.
The focus of the program is fun and of course, safety. The Camp aims to be an alternative to a racing focused program.
So for the fourth year, our Marine Adventure Camp will be broken into FOUR 2-week sessions and a combination of activities unique to meet the mission.
- Introduction to basic sailing skills in dinghies (Optis, 420s, and Open BICs) and big boats (2 Ensigns, a J-22, and NYC Member Yachts) to learn concepts like steering, sail positions, and wind awareness.
- Exposure to beginner marine navigation skills - charts, weather, docking, anchoring
- A focus on Marine Education - conservation, local geography, and sustainability
- For Intermediate and Advanced Sailors, including returning MAC Campers, we will be breaking the groups into different levels throughout the camp to differentiate learning and continue to grow their skills
- June 25 - July 6
- July 9 - July 20
- July 23 - August 3
- August 6 - 17
Sessions will be 9am-4pm Monday-Friday for ages 10-16 and 9am-12pm for 6-8
- $375 per session for Full Day
- $290 per session for Half Day
- $20 2-Week Junior Membership (This program is open to anyone however a Newport Yacht Club Junior Membership is required for all participants for our insurance, this fee is rolled into Registration Fees)