2017 Newport Yacht Club Marine Adventure Camp
In 2015, Newport Yacht Club launched its first ever NYC Marine Adventure Camp with huge success and we continued to grow in 2016 . Over 140 campers joined 6 instructors over 8 weeks for fun on the water.
The mission of the Camp is provide access to sailing, sailboat racing, and marine education for ages 7-15 from any level or background. Due to proximity to some of the best sailing resources in the world, NYC is in a unique position to provide quality nautical and sailing instruction for the youth of the Narragansett Bay.
The focus of the program is fun and of course, safety. The Camp aims to be an alternative to a racing focused program.
So for the third year, our Marine Adventure Camp will be broken into FOUR 2-week sessions and a combination of activities unique to meet the mission.
- Introduction to basic sailing skills in dinghies (Optis, 420s, and Open BICs) and big boats (2 Ensigns, a J-22, and NYC Member Yachts) to learn concepts like steering, sail positions, and wind awareness.
- Exposure to beginner marine navigation skills - charts, weather, docking, anchoring
- A focus on Marine Education - conservation, local geography, and sustainability
- For Intermediate and Advanced Sailors, including returning MAC Campers, we will be breaking the groups into different levels throughout the camp to differentiate learning and continue to grow their skills
Schedule and RatesThe Summer will be broken into 4 two-week sessions.
- June 26- July 7
- July 10 - July 21
- July 24 - August 4
- August 7 - 18
- $375 per session for Full Day
- $290 per session for Half Day
- $20 2-Week Junior Membership (This program is open to anyone however a Newport Yacht Club Junior Membership is required for all participants for our insurance, this fee is rolled into Registration Fees)
RegistrationApplications are received on a "first-come, first-serve" basis - early registration is highly recommended as the classes fill up quickly. You can see the number of available spots left on the registration page. Registration will automatically close if there are no spots left.
ScholarshipsThanks to the generosity of members of the Newport Yacht Club and the community through the Newport Yacht Club Endowment Fund, a number of scholarships are available for our Marine Adventure Camp. Please completed this form to apply for your young sailor, if accepted, you will receive a 100% Discount Code to register your sailor in the link above.
Want to be notified about registration?
Click here to be added to the email distribution.